Tuesday 23 June 2009

Quick update

Mmmhmm yeah, I´m definitely running behind on updates.

Munich, despite the weather, is really good. Yesterday I was on another of those free walking tours, same company as the one I took in Berlin. I took it because I got to 2 in the afternoon without much idea about what to do, and what better way to kill 3 hours than wandering around a city, founding out where the Bierhalles are.

The group was quite cool.. consisted mainly of engineers from Singapore who were in Munich for a conference.

I´m on my last day in rainy Munich, spent 2 nights here. Next I´m heading to Nuremberg, later this evening. With any luck, shortly after that, I´ll head down to Interlaken and meet up with a guy I met on a train from Cesky Krumlov. After Switzerland I´m undecided whether or not I will go back to Slovenia for a 7-day metal festival.

Before Munich I was in Slovenia, before that Italy. In Italy I started in Rome, headed to Palermo in Sicily, then Naples and Florence. Italy was incredibly hot and incredibly expensive. Gelati was had in much abundance, as was pizza, pasta and beer. Palermo was slightly more touristey than I would´ve guessed, but there was still a good atmosphere there.

Naples, the best place in Italy for pizza (aslong as its either a Marinara or a Margherita) and ice cream was also really good. I´ve been previously with the family many years ago, but it was still pretty new to me. Went up Vesuvius again (awesome views up there) and found it incredibly tranquil at the top.

Florence was good, didn´t really stand out for me though. I stayed in the infamous MichelAngelo Camping ground in a 3 person dorm-tent. Really good views of the city up there, aswell as being walking distance from one of the replicas of MichaelAngelo´s ´David´.

Rome was maybe the hottest place in Italy. I took a metro on my first morning to the Vatican and worked my way back, checking out most of the main sights. Did so much walking that day that I reduced my poor feet to blisters. The next day I got a few more stares than usual as I had adopted a stylish limp.

To get to Italy I took a ferry from Split in Croatia, and I was in Zagreb previous to that. Split wasn´t very exciting at all to be fair, 15mins and you saw all the "sights". Just a port really, with a few restaurants and bars. I much preferred Zagreb, a much prettier town.

Budapest came before Croatia aaaand before that Austria (Vienna and Salzburg).. think I´ve got that right.. or near enough. I have a feeling I´ve already spoken about Budapest.

Salzburg I really enjoyed. Despite the shitty weather it was a beautiful city, and my accommodation was at the top of a huge hill, overlooking the town. There I enjoyed hearing Mozart being pumped out of every building (apparently he was born there, but left when he was 24) and pretzels the size of your head. Sadly I passed on the opportunity of a ´Sound of Music´ tour. Next time.

Well I´m going to wander around a bit more now and hope the rain clears up.