Saturday 6 June 2009

Looking back

Tito & Tarantula were awesome last night. Really grimy, bluesy, rock. It was especially cool when they invited people onto the stage for 'Woke up Blind'. They played for a good 2hours and I'd have watched them for a further 2.

All in all the night cost about 15€, including 2 beers, a kebab and the ticket.

Anyway, before I got to Budapest I was in Bratislava, Slovakia. They've had the €uro since January this year, so it was still inexpensive there, but I'm sure it'll get to cost more before too long.

I didn't realise at first, but this was where they set that Quentin Tarantino associated film 'Hostel' (still refuse to watch it - at least until I get back). The hostel was great, it had a themed bar in the cellar with artwork on the walls, red lighting and other stuff, made to look like Hostel. There was also an ugly-as-hell British Bulldog, who was a resident of the hostel. Really funny; walked around like a gorilla and just looked grumpy all the time, like an old man.

Beer was ridiculously cheap in Bratislava, the best I could get was 1,10€ for a half-litre. And it was actually good! Of course you could also get to the supermarket and pay less than 2€ for 2litres of 10% beer, but times weren't that hard.

I was in the hostel for 2 nights, and I met a good few people. There were the 2 Canadians (can only remember that one of them was called Pierce), a Chilean called Milton, Dave, a guy from Indiana... and a couple of Finns, amongst others.

Though Bratislava was a very small town, it was a good place to spend a couple of nights. On my first evening there I went off with the Canadians, and saw most of the sights in some 20 or 30 minutes. Then it was the beer.

Apparently this place is quite popular with the British Stag parties solely for the cost of everything, luckily there weren't any there this time! Another fun thing to do was to count how many times you would hear the word 'Budapest'. Everyone had something to say about it as they'd either just come from there, or like me, were heading that way.

So I'd definitely head to Bratislava again, but maybe not for much more than 3 days, as there isn't too much to do.