Friday 5 June 2009

Budapest

Ok, so I've missed a few locations.

Don't worry, I will get to those. Aslong as you can stomach the wrong order of countries visited, rest assured that I'll get to each place when I can.

For this post, I'll attempt to go backwards from the present.

So.. since the 3rd of June (as I may have mentioned, who knows), I've been in Budapest. It's good here, there's plenty to do and it is relatively small, for a capital city. This is especially apparent when you commit to walking around.

Today (4th June) I walked for a 4 or 5 hour stint after I got a good hearty breakfast from the local market. It was a traditional Hungarian meal of fried potatoes, sausages, tomatoes and other bits and bobs. It was a good sized plate and cost just 3 Euro, including coffee (rank, but caffeinated).

I walked along the river and caught various bridges, important buildings and suchlike along the way. I also caught upto the main (biggest) thermal, Turkish bath. The prices seemed quite reasonable, so I think I'll head there at some point before I head off to locations unknown.

Another thing I stumbled upon this evening was a gig for Tito & Tarantula tomorrow night, so... I think I'll inspect that. Can't wait.

After my big walk today, I went to the food market again and got some food for a late lunch, which turned out to be more of a dinner after I finally cooked it. I got a couple of chicken breasts (2x the size of those in England) and some garlic, lemon and small potatoes. I don't remember the price, but I remember at the time it was almost ridiculously cheap.

A bit after I'd eaten I went with Reinier, the dutch guy, to a Hungarian rock band, across the bridge. It wasn't bad at all, even though we only got half an hour's worth (we turned up a bit late) and it was only the equivelent of a Euro to get in. They sounded like the Hives at half-tempo.

So, overall I'm liking Budapest. Apart from the road works and other similar guff going on in too many places, its quite cool.