Tuesday 21 April 2009

Day 3

I was up in time for a free hostel breakfast this morning. I wolfed down some milky coffee and a croissant with jam and got a move on.

I took a train from Gare De L'Austerlitz to Blois initially. Twas the first time using the InterRail ticket and found it really easy - you can make a decision on a journey and within seconds you can be ready to go, having written the details down.

I got off a stop or 2 early and had my first real conversation with a French lady. It was a little embarrassing trying to speak about myself almost solely with a phrasebook, but i got my point across. She was really nice and was impressed at my doing this alone and I got a big gasp at the mention of trois mois. The train arrived and she wished me bon voyage.

Blois is a really nice, little town. Full of little patisseries and tiny walkways between buildings. A massive contrast with the huge, fast-paced Paris.

I searched out the place in my guidebook for a place to stay - this time in early afternoon (its how to do it kids). The owner was a legend - he was fully booked, but he took me to his brother's hotel (read b+b) about 2mins away, which was only a couple of € more.

He spoke English quite well and I explained my lack of sleep on the previous 2 nights so he spoke to his brother about getting me a quiet room. This was just what I needed! It had a shower and toilet en-suite... and a TV! Nothing much was on it though - just the usual tat you get on terrestrial in England. I did have a big laugh at the French Family Fortunes though.

After a shower i went off around the old town and posted my first 2 postcards.

That evening i had a meal in a cool, family-run pizzeria. I was the only customer there, so everything was amazing. Had my first taste of proper French wine - delicious. The whole thing cost about 22€, not bad at all.